In the old city of Anuradhapura, there’s a special place called Thuparamaya Stupa. It’s not just any place; it’s the oldest stupa in Sri Lanka and holds a lot of meaning for people who follow Buddhism. Let’s explore what makes Thuparamaya special and why people visit.
A Marvel of Old Architecture:
Built a very long time ago, around the 3rd century BCE, Thuparamaya is an ancient stupa. A stupa is like a big, round structure, and Thuparamaya is one of the earliest ones in Sri Lanka. The builders made it with a dome shape, a square chamber on top, and a pointy part that represents Buddha’s enlightenment.
Why Thuparamaya Is Important:
Thuparamaya is not just a building; it’s a place of deep respect for Buddhists. Inside, there’s a special bone relic from Buddha. According to stories, a person named Arahat Mahinda brought this relic to Sri Lanka. So, Thuparamaya is like a treasure house for a very important part of Buddhism.
Reasons to Visit Thuparamaya:
- History Lesson: Thuparamaya is like a living history book. When you visit, you step back in time to when Buddhism first started to spread in Sri Lanka.
- Cool Architecture: If you like looking at old buildings, Thuparamaya is fascinating. The stupa’s shape and the carvings on it show the skill of the people who built it so long ago.
- Spiritual Vibes: Many people come to Thuparamaya to pray, meditate, or just feel a sense of peace. The quiet surroundings and the feeling of spirituality make it a special place for visitors.
Special Things at Thuparamaya:
- Stone Fence: Around Thuparamaya, there’s a special stone fence called a vatadage. It has beautiful carvings that add to the charm of the place.
- Entrance Design: The entrance has a pretty stone design called a moonstone. It’s like a welcome mat with carvings that tell stories from a long time ago.
Taking Care of Thuparamaya:
People are working to keep Thuparamaya in good shape. They want to make sure it stays strong for a very long time, so everyone can keep enjoying its history and spirituality.
Other Places Nearby:
- Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi: Not far away is a sacred tree called Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi. It’s believed to be connected to the tree where Buddha found enlightenment.
- Ruwanwelisaya: Another big stupa close by is Ruwanwelisaya. It’s a great place to visit if you’re interested in the history of Anuradhapura.
Thuparamaya Stupa isn’t just an old building; it’s a time capsule that lets us touch the past. Whether you’re interested in history, architecture, or just want a peaceful place to visit, Thuparamaya welcomes you to explore its ancient beauty and connect with the roots of Buddhism in Sri Lanka.
(Cover Image Credit: @hamza_mad_h from Instagram)